- 1/2 8-ounce package cream cheese
- 1 14-ounce package Smoked Sausage
- 2 fresh jalapeño peppers,* halved lengthwise and seeded
- 4 slices bacon
*When working with fresh chiles, wear rubber gloves or disposable plastic gloves, or cover your hands with small plastic bags. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and hot water. If you get some of the oils in your eyes, flush them with cool water. Oils from chiles can transfer to knives and cutting surfaces, so wash tools and surfaces with hot, soapy water after use to prevent the oils from transferring to other foods.
- Cut cream cheese into four lengthwise pieces. Place on a plate and freeze 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut sausage crosswise into 4 portions. To create a pocket, cut each portion, lengthwise, three-fourths of the way through.
- Place cream cheese pieces in the opening of each sausage portion. Then stuff each opening with half of a jalapeño.
- Wrap a slice of uncooked bacon around each stuffed sausage and secure bacon with toothpicks as needed.
- In a charcoal grill, arrange medium coals around the edge of the grill. Place a drip pan in the center of the grill. Place sausage, slit-side down, on a grill rack over the drip pan. Cover and grill 25 minutes or until sausage is browned and bacon is cooked through, turning (to slit-side up) halfway through grilling.
- Let stand 10 minutes. Cut each sausage into 4 portions and serve with toothpicks as appetizers.