- 1 medium head cauliflower, cored and cut into florets (about 8 cups)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 5 eggs, divided
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella or cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- 1 medium sweet pepper, chopped
- 1/2 of a package Smoked Sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a deep dish 9-inch pie plate; set aside.
- Place cauliflower in batches in a food processor. Cover and pulse each batch until crumbly and mixture resembles the texture of rice.
- In a very large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Add the cauliflower and cook, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes, or until cauliflower is tender and starting to brown.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cauliflower, 1 egg, 1/2 cup of the cheese, the panko, and 2 tablespoons chives. Press mixture onto the bottom and up the sides of the prepared pie plate.
- In the same very large skillet, heat remaining 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add sweet pepper and cook for 2 minutes, or until it begins to soften. Add sausage and onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion softens and sausage begins to brown. Spoon sausage mixture and remaining 1/2 cup cheese into cauliflower crust.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together remaining 4 eggs, whipping cream, and flour. Pour over sausage mixture in crust.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30 to 40 minutes or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Let stand on a wire rack for 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with additional chives, if desired.