- 1 package Smoked Sausage
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup small onion, chopped
- 1 1/4 cup arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 sprigs fresh basil
- 12oz package frozen peas (thawed)
- 4 tablespoons mascarpone, cream cheese or butter
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil in a large 10-12in skillet with lid or deep pot. Add the sausage and brown on both sides, about 5-6 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Add the peas to the pan juices and cook for 3 minutes to brown slightly. Remove and set aside.
- Add the onions and cook for 2 minutes to soften. Add the rice and stir to coat with pan juices. Add the wine and bubble for 2 minutes. Stir in all the stock and basil sprigs.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to low-medium. Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Stir the cooked sausage back. Continue to cook, uncovered for 5-10 minutes until most of the stock has evaporated.
- Gently stir, the rice should be tender and not too thick. Discard the basil sprigs. Stir in the mascarpone (or cream cheese or butter) and Parmesan cheese, taste and season with lemon juice, salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve with extra parmesan cheese and fresh basil leaves, if desired.