- 1 package Smoked Sausage
- 4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 2 cups sliced fresh asparagus (1- inch pieces), cooked crisp-tender
- ½ cup (2 ounces) shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Cut sausage into ½” cubes; set aside. Bring broth to a boil in a 2-quart saucepan. Reduce heat to low to keep broth hot.
- Heat oil in a 4-quart pan over medium-high heat until hot. Add sausage, onion and mushrooms. Cook, stirring frequently, 3-4 minutes or until sausage is lightly browned.
- Add butter and rice. Cook, stirring constantly 2 minutes. Stir in wine; cook until liquid has almost completely absorbed.
- Stir in ½ cup of heated chicken broth. Cook, stirring constantly until liquid is absorbed. Add remaining broth, ½ cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 20 minutes total).
- Remove from heat; stir in asparagus, 1/3 cup of Parmesan and parsley. Add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle top with remaining Parmesan cheese.