- 2 1 to 1 1/4-pound acorn squash
- 4 tablespoons tablespoons water, divided
- 1 package Smoked Sausage, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 8.8-ounce pouch cooked whole grain brown rice (1 cup)
- 3/4 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons snipped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; remove and discard seeds and strings.
- In a 2-quart baking dish, arrange two squash halves, cut sides down; add in 2 tablespoons of the water. Cover with vented plastic wrap. Microwave 7 to 10 minutes or until squash is just tender; keep warm. Repeat with the remaining squash halves.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat for 6 minutes or until browned, adding rice, 1/2 cup of the cheese, sage, thyme, and black pepper the last 2 minute of cooking.
- To serve, fill squash halves with sausage mixture. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese and drizzle with balsamic vinegar.