- 4 egg yolks
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1/2 cup whole milk or half-and-half
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces dried linguine or spaghetti
- 1 package Smoked Sausage, bias-sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley leaves
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks, milk, 1/2 cup cheese, lemon zest, and black pepper. Set aside.
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven, cook linguine in a large amount of boiling salted water according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking water. Return linguine to Dutch oven.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat for 5 minutes or until browned, adding garlic the last 1 minute of cooking.
- Pour egg yolk mixture over linguine in Dutch oven. Add sausage and spinach; toss to coat. (The heat from the pan and the linguine cooks and thickens the egg yolk, making a silky sauce). If needed, stir in enough reserved pasta cooking water to reach desired consistency. Toss with parsley.
- Serve immediately. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese, if desired.